Mommy time

Mommy time
This is the life in mommy's arms!

Daddy time

Daddy time
Checking out my daddy

Snoozing after bath time

Snoozing after bath time
Sponge baths are good!

Free of ventilator!!!

Free of ventilator!!!
This is what I look like w/out edema

Daddy holding Tino!

Daddy holding Tino!

Daddy changing Tino's diaper

Daddy changing Tino's diaper

Baby Tino in my arms!

Baby Tino in my arms!

Santino's eyes are open

Santino's eyes are open
Isn't he just the cutest!!

Big yawn!!!!!

Tino w/ hemodialysis catheter

Tino w/ hemodialysis catheter
not a pretty thing, poor baby!

In the Children's NICU

In the Children's NICU
Santino after they placed the peritoneal catheter

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I got to hold my baby!!!!

Today was much better than yesterday. Santino looked like a cute lil pink baby. Yesterday his coloring was still pretty pale from the night before. Besides Tino doing well his wonderful nurse decided it was time I got to hold him. We were having a conversation and it came up that I still had not held him. So she went and spoke w/ the doc and they decided I needed to hold my boy. I was a little nervous w/ all his tubes/lines and ventilator. I guess this is their job and the nurses are used to maneuvering around all that stuff. I was able to hold him for about 1 1/2 hrs. He slept very peacefully in my arms. It was nice to see him so calm and not agitated. Tomorrow will be daddy's turn as long as Tino is stable. I know John is really looking forward to holding his boy.

Tino did have another round of dialysis today. I'm not sure how much fluid was pulled off but he is just below his birth weight. So that is good. He still has a little bit of edema and his blood pressure is still a little high. So they will do another round tomorrow. If he is doing well with that the docs may go every other day. They may start a small feed thru a gastric tube tomorrow.
As far as the infection, the docs are still not positive. The cultures should be done by tomorrow to get a better answer. My husband is going to have to take over now to explain what it is they think was causing his yucky night. John's EMT class paid off for us!!
John:
The nurse and the neonatologist explained that some of the baby's problems over the last couple of days may have been due to poor perfusion (exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide and other elements at the cellular level), rather than some sort of infection. They started Sonny (Tino) on a medication called milrinone yesterday. Milrinone is a vasodilator, which basically means that it causes the blood vessels to relax and dialate, allowing more blood into the vessels, thereby improving the perfusion of the cells. The vasodilatory effect of the milrinone also helped in lowering Tino's blood pressure, which was mostly at acceptable levels today.
Yvette:
I'm still not sure I totally understand it all. I'm glad John does!

3 comments:

  1. Hi mama, your little one is beautiful. I will be praying for him like crazy! My little guy started peritoneal at 5 months. He's 16 months now and a little fighter. He is awesomely sweet but has a temper that I've never seen in one this age! I pray that your son will have every bit as much fight as our Logan. I have a yahoo group for moms of dialysis babies if you would like to join. It is nice to have the experience of other mamas especially because as I'm sure you've found there are not many of us. We have to stay united. Please send me an email or post on our blog and I'll send you an invite. I will be praying for your little one.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Incredible feeling to hold him isn't it. Makes you look differently at when your other child(ren) were just placed on your tummy after birht. Eye opener for sure!
    I'm glad he's finally in your arms. And Matthew did that too...he slept very peacefully once he was in my arms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not computer saavy so I have no idea if I am getting the latest updates. I show the last update as July 1st. It is so cool to see the photos of you both holding baby Santino. you are in our thougths and prayers! XOXO
    Love, Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers