Mommy time

Mommy time
This is the life in mommy's arms!

Daddy time

Daddy time
Checking out my daddy

Snoozing after bath time

Snoozing after bath time
Sponge baths are good!

Free of ventilator!!!

Free of ventilator!!!
This is what I look like w/out edema

Daddy holding Tino!

Daddy holding Tino!

Daddy changing Tino's diaper

Daddy changing Tino's diaper

Baby Tino in my arms!

Baby Tino in my arms!

Santino's eyes are open

Santino's eyes are open
Isn't he just the cutest!!

Big yawn!!!!!

Tino w/ hemodialysis catheter

Tino w/ hemodialysis catheter
not a pretty thing, poor baby!

In the Children's NICU

In the Children's NICU
Santino after they placed the peritoneal catheter

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Santino tries nursing!


My lil guy and I had a nice visit today. He was awake and alert when I arrived. He was just looking around w/ his big eyes. I was excited to hold him because usually he is sleeping when I'm there. When the nurse handed him over to me he started rooting around for my breast (sorry men if this grosses you out). So the nurse suggested I try a dry feed w/ him (I had just pumped so no milk would come out and choke him). He latched on fairly quickly and was very content for about 15 mins until he fell asleep. It was such a great feeling to have him want to nurse and be so comfortable in my arms. I could have stayed there all day like that. He was so cozy in my arms. John was sad that he missed that experience.

Unfortunately my time was up. I only had 2 1/2 hours w/ him today. The time goes by sooo fast. ( I can't believe in 2 days Santino will already be 4 weeks old (38 wks gestastion)) I had to get home to relieve John of his duties so he could go to sleep for work tonight. This is just the second day and it is okay so far. It will get to us soon though. We are like a tag team. He comes home from work and I walk out the door for the hospital. I get home and he heads to bed. Tomorrow I will be staying home to spend more time w/ the kids and run some errands. It will be very hard. Last time I tried staying home Santino decided to stop breathing and scare the heck out of us. Santino better behave himself tomorrow. I did get a little teary leaving today but the nurse was very nice and encouraged me to take tomorrow off and try to relax a little. I'm sure I will keep myself busy so I don't have to be thinking about Santino constantly. Yeah right, who am I kidding! Wish me luck.

Some updates on his meds. His PD fluid was increased to 40 cc's and his milk feed was increased to 43 cc's. He is handling the formula well that is added to my breast milk. We'll see how he does w/ all that fluid in his abdomen/stomach at once. When I was there he did vomit a little. I did just get done changing a huge poopy diaper so all that jostling around made him sick. My poor baby. I think he felt better after his movement and throwing up. He was calm looking around and listing to his music. When he is calm like that John and I just want to cuddle up next to him. Hopefully soon enough!

1 comment:

  1. Mama, I'm so glad you got to nurse your little one! How awesomely amazing that after everything he's gone through he is latching on! I will be praying for you guys. Our little one is on dialysis as well and is just about ready for transplant. He nursed for 14 months and I also pumped for him to put it through his g-tube. He still gets pumped donor milk through his g-tube. I know you're probably crazy busy but I just wanted to let you know if you ever want to talk about the scariness of a little one on dialysis or trying to balance it all, let me know mama. I will be praying for your little one as well as for your family.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers