Mommy time

Mommy time
This is the life in mommy's arms!

Daddy time

Daddy time
Checking out my daddy

Snoozing after bath time

Snoozing after bath time
Sponge baths are good!

Free of ventilator!!!

Free of ventilator!!!
This is what I look like w/out edema

Daddy holding Tino!

Daddy holding Tino!

Daddy changing Tino's diaper

Daddy changing Tino's diaper

Baby Tino in my arms!

Baby Tino in my arms!

Santino's eyes are open

Santino's eyes are open
Isn't he just the cutest!!

Big yawn!!!!!

Tino w/ hemodialysis catheter

Tino w/ hemodialysis catheter
not a pretty thing, poor baby!

In the Children's NICU

In the Children's NICU
Santino after they placed the peritoneal catheter

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Santino's 1st & 2nd Ambulance Ride (hopefully last!!!).

We are back at Rady Children's Hospital as of yesterday. It all really began Sunday morning. We woke up a little early to get ready to go to the Miracle Babies 5k walk. But Santino had other plans in the works. He had only UF'd 95 on his dialysis which it is usally from 170 to 250. He looked puffy from fluid overload. We called the on call nephrologist and she suggested putting him back on dialysis for a few cycles to pull off more fluid. We decided to have John stay home with him to start the dialysis and I took the kids to the 5k.
We had a good time at the walk and they got out a lot of energy.
When I got back home I gave Santino a breathing treatment and he seemed a little better. He had seemed a little pale to me and lethargic. I took his temp and it was 100.1. He cooled down pretty quickly after that and didn't really spike a temp again. We decided to see how he did over night. John went to work as usual and I watched Tino over night.
He slept pretty good until around 2 am. He was irritable and seemed uncomfortable. I thought maybe he was constipated. He seemed like he was trying to push something out. He was bearing down but he suddenly just froze and seemed like he wasn't breathing. I hurried and turned on the light and picked him up. As soon as I picked him up he started crying and seemed fine. I was getting a little worried at this point. I sat with him at his crib until 5:30 am and he finally fell asleep. I rested a little until it was time to get the big kids up for school.
At 8 am sharp I called the pediatrician to get him in. They had an appt available for 10:50 am. I called John at work so he could come home and go with me. I knew something was up. I didn't want to take him to the ER because of the wait and all the GERMS.
So anyhow we get to the pediatrician and she said his coloring did look off and his breathing was rapid. She decided to get his oxygen sats and it was 47!!!! It should be 100%! At that point she said she was very concerned and was calling and ambulance. They got there within 10-15 mins. I was crying at this point because I felt horrible that I didn't take him in sooner.
While we were waiting the pediatrician got him started on some oxygen with some Xopenex.
The fire dept arrived and Santino and I got loaded up to head to Children's. They had him hooked up to oxygen and monitors. On our way his heart rate decreased as well as his sats. So we detoured to the nearest hospital. Which Children's was only 5 mins away. I was panicked at this point but a calm panic. I called his dialysis nurse to let her know and I lucky remembered to call John to have him go to the right hospital.
We got to Alvarado hospital and they gave him oxygen, drew labs and began antibiotics. His color started looking a lot better. Alvarado is not experienced with infants so the CHET team was called from Children's . They arrived about 30 mins later. John and I were so excited when we heard CHET was on there way.
When CHET arrived with the NP they decided to intubate him there rather than have him stop breathing on the way to Children's. I was hoping to never have to see him intubated again. It was so hard seeing my little baby sedated and with that big tube attached to his lil face.
So we loaded up again in an ambulance and were brought to the PICU here at Children's. We have a new set of nurses to become familiar with. Tino is making his rounds.
So far the tests they have ran: MERSA, RSV, INFLUENZA A & B , have come back negative. The H1N1 test goes to the county so that hasn't come back yet. So they are still not sure what it is he is fighting. Hopefully nothing too serious.
He is still intubated and fully sedated. All his vitals have been good. We are just waiting to find out what we are fighting here. I will keep you updated with anything new.
We appreciate all your prayers and concerns.
In His Grace,
The Pepe Family

3 comments:

  1. Oh Yvette...how scary!! I'm so sorry!! It worries me that his UF was so low too...have they looked into that yet? Bowl obstruction, catheter kinked...there's got to be a reason that fluid was held. that may be causing the breathing problems if the peritonium is so enlarged and messing with the lungs.
    I hope he makes a full recovery and your stay is short.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Yvette. Because I have no great advice like carebear has I just want to let you know that I pray for lil Tino and your family all the time. It gets so hard reading you and Karen's blogs. Not because I miss Vayden, I just am in awe of how strong you two mommies are. I'm sure if I had to do it I would, but gosh I really can't say if I'd do it with such grace.

    I love you

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you guys! That must have been so scary! Karen has such good ideas of things to look into.

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers